Tile Shopping Guide
Strong, stunning and easy to clean, tile has been a mainstay of home design for centuries. Hundreds of years of wisdom doesn’t make it any easier to find the perfect match for your cabinets, though! Peek’s Floor Co. has the selection you need to match any room, but shopping is easier when you know your way around the product. Our shopping guide will get you started.
What Types Are There?
Ceramic: The classic tile, ceramic is made from clay and kiln-fired to permanently harden it. It can be colorfully glazed or left its natural color. Glazed tiles are less stain-prone and easier to clean.
Porcelain: Porcelain is made similarly to ceramic but fired at a higher temperature. It’s denser, harder and less porous. Even unglazed, it’s less prone to staining.
Stone: Natural stone, including slate, marble, and travertine, are gorgeous and unique choices. No two tiles are ever the same. Most are incredibly durable, but some are more stain- and scratch-resistant than others. Stone also needs good support for its weight.
Glass: Scratch-resistant and glitzy, glass is usually used as small accents, mini tiles or for mosaics.
Know Your Vocabulary
– Impervious: Absorbs less than .5% moisture. These frost-proof tiles can be used anywhere outdoors.
– Non-Vitreous: Absorbs more than 7% moisture. These tiles can only be used indoors.
– Vitreous: Absorbs less than 3% moisture. These tiles can be used anywhere that isn’t too freeze-prone.
Good To Know!
– Tile can be laid with varying grout widths for different looks.
– High quality, professional grout is denser and easier to clean.
– Mix and match! Different colors and types of tile and be combined for beautiful patterns and looks.
See our selection